From the Experts
Meet The Three Amigos: Andy, Grace and Katherine
Andy, Grace and Katherine are energetic young folks who love helping out at Get Fit. They enjoy helping with inventory, scanning merchandise, and tearing down boxes in the backroom. Of course, they make sure the boxes have been transformed into cars, planes, cell phones, and iPads before they get thrown out!
Andy loves baseball and does a mean James Bond impersonation. Grace loves swimming and playing Monster High Dolls, and Katherine’s hobbies include volleyball and piano. The triplets are the future of Get Fit, so don’t be surprised to see them the next time you come in.
Yeah, they ROCK
Tonya and Will Graf , The Get Fit Team, WON the 2 person 24 Hours in the Canyon Mountain Bike Race.
24 Hours in the Canyon is a simultaneous road and mountain bike race benefiting a Survivorship Cancer Clinic in Amarillo.
Tonya and Will logged more than 100 miles each during the race.
Tonya and Will are born and raised Amarilloians.
Here are just a few reasons why you should make Road ID part of your gear.
- If you can’t speak for yourself, Road ID will speak for you.
- Road ID enables First Responders to immediately contact family members and friends.
- Road ID enables family members to provide additional details about your health or give consent for potentially life saving procedures.
- Road ID enables hospital staff to locate vital medical records.
- Road ID can communicate medical conditions or allergy information to medical staff.
- Road ID can prevent serious delays in treatment by saving crucial time during the “golden hour” of medical treatment.
- It’s far better to have Road ID and not need it than to need Road ID and not have it. It’s not just a piece of gear, it’s peace of mind.
- Accidents happen far more than you think they do. Each year approximately 450,000 of us are taken to hospitals unconscious and without identification.
- Road ID looks good on and makes a statement about your athletic lifestyle – not to mention that studies would probably prove that people that wear Road ID are considerably smarter than those that don’t.
- Road ID can save your Life. Period. Come by Get Fit, and let us help you order your RoadID
Shopping for shoes is more than just finding the right color at the right price. When you walk into any of the big box stores what do you see? Walls and walls of running shoes, cross-training shoes, brightly colored shoes, and on and on. And what do you do? You pick the shoes that looks nice, then you look at the price, and then you try and find someone, anyone who can try to find those shoes in your size?! But how do you know it’s really the right shoe for your particular foot type? When purchasing shoes be sure to follow our Four Get Fit Tips:
- Choose a shoe that is as comfortable as a slipper.
- Make sure it does not slip on your heel.
- Be sure to leave enough space in front for your toes. A thumbnail width is enough.
- Most importantly, be sure you have a gait analysis before you even try on a shoe so you know if you need a shoe with cushion, stability, or motion control.
If you are not getting that kind of service where you currently shop, you should stop by Get Fit so you can be sure you Get the right Fit!
“Are You A Gym?”
You know, I wish we had kept track of how many times we have been asked “Are You A Gym?” This got us thinking about our name. We decided to call our business GET FIT for two reasons: Yes, we certainly do want to see the good people of the Amarillo Area get physically fit! But the first reason we chose the name GET FIT is because we have a specially trained staff who ask the right questions, care about the outcome, and are prepared to “FIT” you with the footwear, apparel, and accessories that are right for you! Perhaps you are a new mom who wants to lose that “baby fat,” or your doctor told you that your blood pressure is too high; maybe you work at a job that requires you to be on your feet all day. Whatever your goal is, our goal is to help you GET there!
The Stick: a Toothbrush for Muscles!
The Stick is a revolutionary device used to segmentally compress and stretch muscle. It is highly effective in the treatment of muscle pain and trigger points.
The Stick provides many benefits. Here are a few of the fitness and health benefits associated with The Stick:
- Prevent & Predict Muscle Injuries
- Dramatically improve strength, flexibility and endurance
- Rapidly prepare muscles for physical activity
- Disperse the effects of lactic acid following activity
- Accelerate muscle recovery
What is the Stick Made of, how long will it last?
Stick products are made of a space-age plastic that allow necessary flexibility of the tool and provide maximum compression of the muscles (the Stick contains no rubber or wood). The center rod of the Stick is surrounded by spindles which roll independently over the muscle. The handles provide maximum comfort in the grip. The Stick comes with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee, and a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty against defects. With proper use, The Stick should last a lifetime.
Have any of you used The Stick? We here at Get Fit love it, let us know what you think!
Training Heating Up
As your training literally heats up this summer you may want to incorporate change into your routine. This change may help you avoid repetitive stress injuries, increase your mental focus, or rejuvenate your training goals. Try running on softer surfaces such as a trail, which will help you engage your core more as you have to do more side to side running. Trails will also help your focus since they tend to have more rocks and roots than the streets . Running on grass at a park puts less pressure on your feet and can be beneficial if you are returning to running after an injury. Plus it helps you feel like a kid again to feel the grass between your toes! Pool running can also be a refreshing change to your routine. Water is 800 times thicker than air, so this is a great way to build muscle strength and stay out of the heat. Also, taking your dog on a run or just running for fun with your kids can make your run enjoyable and not seem like a workout. You may also reap benefits from running at a different time of day; try running when it’s cooler outside or even at night, as long as you are visible. If you have any questions or need any help adding change to your workout plan please free to call our Get Fit Experts at 806-350-4262 or come visit us at Get Fit!!